Tar Beasts are hulking monsters that spawn within pools of Tar in Sludge Plains and rarely Swamplands biomes. They also spawn from Tar Beast Spawners in Tar Pool Dungeons. If a Wight contacts Tar, it will transform into a Tar Beast after a few seconds.
Tar Beasts are hunched-over humanoids composed of tar with red eyes, an elongated right forelimb, and dripping faces. Their texture is animated like flowing tar, and they drag themselves to move using their arm. When damaged they take no knockback. In addition to dealing basic melee damage, Tar Beasts have two special attacks which they periodically use:
- They cause a tar explosion. A brief transparent image of themselves will appear around them right before causing the explosion, which briefly sucks a player's view point inwards, causes massive amounts of damage (enough to kill the player in one explosion at point blank range), and inflicts Slowness II () for a few seconds.
- They pull you towards them to suffocate you. A constantly pulsating transparent image will be visible around them a couple seconds before emitting black particles. They then attempt to pull you directly into themselves, which causes the screen to become black with tar and causes suffocation damage to the player, for a few seconds.
Both of these attacks create sound effects. In addition, running into the Tar Beast at any time will cause the screen to fill with Tar, blinding the player.
Tar Beasts are extremely difficult mobs to face even when prepared, and one should take fighting them seriously. Try to keep a reasonable distance from the beast and shoot it with arrows from a Weedwood Bow. Its explosion attack is strong but can be blocked entirely with a shield, while its suction attack can be avoided as long as you aren't too close; and both of these attacks have brief warning signs to show they are about to happen so you can prepare. Another thing to note is that a Shockwave Sword makes it very easy to keep distance between you and the tar beast. Lastly, Never fight more than one at a time, however; that is sure to bring you to a swift end.
The drops from Tar Beasts are derived from the tar_beast loot table.
The following is a list of all of the items that can be dropped by Tar Beasts, including their rolls, quantities, and weights.
|Tar Beast Drops|
|Tar Beast Heart||1||1/9 (11.11%) (if killed by player)|
(+1-2 per Looting level)
|3 Rolls, if killed by player, Spook event only:|
|Blue Candy||1||1/3 (33.33%)|
|Red Candy||1||1/3 (33.33%)|
|Yellow Candy||1||1/3 (33.33%)|
|3 Rolls, if killed by player, Winter event only:|
|Mince Pie||1||1/1 (100%)|
Visit the Loot Tables page for more information on loot.
- There cannot be more than one Tar Beast per regional difficulty level in a single biome at the same time. To spawn, they need a 3x3x2 area of Tar.
|Advancement||In-game Description||Parent||Actual Requirements||ID|
|Slay a Swamp Hag, a Wight, a Tar Beast, a Sludge, and a Peat Mummy||Chopping Boy||Kill a Swamp Hag, Wight, Tar Beast, Sludge, and Peat Mummy (does not have to be at the same time)||fighter|
|Tar Beast dies||Hostile||Plays when a Tar Beast dies.||tar_beast_death|
|Tar Beast hurts||Hostile||Plays when a Tar Beast takes damage.||tar_beast_hurt|
|Tar Beast gurgles||Hostile||Plays randomly while a Tar Beast is alive.||tar_beast_living|
|N/A||Hostile||Plays when a Tar Beast moves.||tar_beast_step|
|Tar Beast inhales||Hostile||Plays while the Tar Beast performs the suck attack.||tar_beast_suck|
- Release 3.7.1: Increased experience drop from 5 to 20.
- Release 3.7.0: Now spawns if a Wight contacts Tar.
- Release 3.3.0: Added Advancement.
- Beta 1.0.0: Introduced.
|The Betweenlands Mobs|
|Passive||Blind Cave Fish • Dragonfly • Firefly • Frog • Gecko • Greebling • Mire Snail • Root Sprite • Sporeling|
|Neutral||Greebling Rider • Lurker • Pyrad|
|Aggressive||Angler • Blood Snail • Chiromaw • Crypt Crawler • Dark Druid • Emberling Shaman • Infestation • Lamprey • Leech • Living Root • Peat Mummy • Shallowbreath • Shambler • Silt Crab • Sludge (Smol) • Sludge Worm (Large • Small • Tiny) • Sprites (Ash • Boulder) • Stalker • Swamp Hag • Tar Beast • Termite • Wight|
|Tamable & Utility||Emberling • Harlequin Toad • Tarminion|
|Chief||Barrishee • Chiromaw Matriarch|
|Boss||Dreadful Peat Mummy • Primordial Malevolence • Sludge Menace • Spirit Tree|